Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Query Letter and First 250 words of THE RIDDLE OF THE RAINBOW

This post is part of a contest that I'm entering.

Dear Agent,

First, let me thank you for taking the time to participate in this contest. It’s a great opportunity for writers like myself and we greatly appreciate your time and effort.

Brother and sister, Rhonda and Kenny, discover a magic crystal. Touching the crystal together transports them to the Carnival of Color. Each scene of the Carnival of Color is presented in a different color, starting with red and ending with violet, using all seven colors of the rainbow. The children must solve the “riddle of the rainbow” in order to find their way back home by choosing the proper door (the violet one – the last color of the rainbow) in the last scene of the Carnival.


RIDDLE OF THE RAINBOW (word count –  approx. 6740) is a middle grade chapter book with a total of ten chapters. The story incorporates the idea of prisms and the concept of “Roy G. Biv,” a technique for remembering the colors of the rainbow.

Sincerely,
Christine M. Irvin


THE RIDDLE OF THE RAINBOW

By, Christine M. Irvin


CHAPTER ONE – CRYSTAL PARK

            "Hurry up, Rhonda.” Kenny Burton tried to get his sister, Rhonda, to move a little faster.
            "What's the big hurry?"
            "I want to get there, now! I don't want anyone to find the crystal before I do." The children lived close to Crystal Park, reclaimed mining land, now covered with trees and flowers.
            "There isn't any crystal." Rhonda claimed.
            "Yes, there IS!"
            "No, there isn't!"
            "Yes, THERE IS!"
            "No, there isn't!"
            "Is TOO!  The old miner said so." Kenny insisted. "They named the park after the magic crystal." And he had come to the park to find it.
            “They named it Crystal Park because they used to mine quartz crystal here. And, besides, there's no such thing as a magic crystal." Rhonda retorted.
            "But the legend - "
            "Do you believe that silly legend? The old miner just told us a story. Only babies believe that stuff!"
The children had met an old man at the local museum yesterday. Their parents had taken them there to see a rock exhibit, as their father was a geologist. While their parents read all the little signs and looked at everything under the glass, the children had wandered away for a moment. An old man, standing in a corner, had motioned for them to come near. “I have a secret,” he said.
“What kind of secret?” Kenny asked. He loved secrets.
“About a magic crystal.”
“There’s no such thing as magic,” Rhonda pointed out, “and besides, we’re not supposed to talk to strangers.”

8 comments:

Kathleea said...

I also write MG and I saw another novel about colors but that one was YA so you're good! I love books that incorporate colors. Good luck!

Cathrine Bock said...

Love the sound of your story! Great idea combining an adventure with learning about the color spectrum. Good luck!

Christine M. Irvin said...

Thanks, Catherine, for taking the time to visit my blog and make a nice comment, also. I appreciate your doing so. I hope I catch the eye of one of the coaches with my idea!!

Christine M. Irvin said...


Kathleen, thanks for taking the time to visit my blog and make a nice comment on my post. I appreciate it.

Leslie S. Rose said...

I was just sharing the Roy G. Biv trick with my 5th grade class today. Best of luck in the contest.

Christine M. Irvin said...

Leslie, thanks for coming to my site and commenting. I always thought the Roy G. Biv was a good memory trick. I'm still hoping for a shot at the contest....:)


Suzanne Warr said...

Hey, it's great to see another middle grade on here! There aren't many of us. ;) Great job incorporating it into your book, and best of luck!

--Suzanne Warr
www.suzannewarr.com

Christine M. Irvin said...

Thanks, Suzanne. I appreciate your taking the time to stop by and comment on my story. I haven't heard anything about being chosen for a team, but I'm still hopeful. Good luck to you, too!