Thursday, June 27, 2013

Great Advice For Writers

While reading my daily collection of emails, I came across a link to a website where one writer had interviewed another writer. Yvonne Mes interviewed Andrew King. Both are children's picture book writers, so the interview was slanted in that direction. 
Picture Andrew King is the author of a delightful-sounding children's picture book called Engibear's Dream. I use the term "delightful-sounding" because I haven't read the book, but it sounds delightful. King had some good advice for beginning picture book writers. He also had some advice for writers who have self-published their work, or are thinking about doing so, as he self-published his book. But, I think his advice can, and should, apply to ALL writers. He said writers should (I paraphrased his words a bit):

* read and write every day;
* look for inspiration everywhere and allow it to come from anywhere;
* become part of the writing community (which includes workshops, festivals, conferences, writing groups, reading groups);
* continually educate themselves to learn about structures and rules that apply to their craft; and 
* be themselves and tell their stories their way.

Like I said, I think that's great advice for ALL writers.

I enjoyed reading the whole interview. You can read the rest of it by clicking here.

No comments: